Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Lenten Season

Ash Wednesday is a day of repentance and it marks the beginning of Lent, a 43-day period which is an allusion to the separation of Jesus in the desert to fast and pray.

After some time spent wondering what I should give up during the Lenten season, I finally figured it out - I will be giving up my hair...literally! But I refuse to give it to cancer! Instead I will be getting my head shaved on March 17th for the 5th Annual St. Baldrick's Event at Children's Hospital and Research Center in Oakland.

Over the past four years, this event has raised over half a million dollars towards childhood cancer research! It's an exceptional achievement and I intend to be a part of it!

My personal fundraising goal is $1000.00. Will you please sponsor me by visiting the link below (cut and paste if necessary) and make a donation to find a cure for childhood cancers in my name? (note: I can be found by name under 'shavees' or as a team member of the Oakland Police Department)

I will be joined by some of my family members and friends. I promise...pictures to follow!

www.stbaldricks.org/participants/LisaBakos

Goodbye hair, hello hats!!

XO

Lisa

PS - I'm also giving up sodas! That's going to be harder than losing my hair!

2 comments:

Aunt Wild Roz said...

If you're gonna lose your hair anyway, shavin' it ain't giving up nothin' for Lent! And you can't give up chocolate cause you need that to feed the Good Wolf. Hmmmmmm...I know, you can give up your dignity when that chemo kicks in! Just kidding! This is a brave and noble thing to do, Lisa; and I've just made my contribution on your behalf. Good luck, my Warrior Princess!

Suzie said...

This is amazing, Lisa!! You are very brave, giving up soda!! Oh, and shaving your head too : )

You always amaze me!! You have found a way to make this a selfless experience. Not to mention giving those of us who feel so helpless a way to help.

I love the picture on your page, you look about 17!!

Love you!!