Sunday, May 20, 2012

Heavenly Body

"We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing." 2 Corinthians 5:2

My last remaining grandmother passed away a few days ago, and because of the chemo, I'm unable to travel the distance required to attend her funeral. She would have been 97 in July.

She was an amazing woman, one of strength, grace, fortitude, and faith. I have only wonderful memories of time spent with her as a child, and later, as an adult, of time spent with her, my husband, and my own children.

My grandmother was also a devoted mother and wife and her perseverance in life has been an example I intend to follow in my current fight with cancer and throughout the next several years as I strive to become a survivor.

I'm sad for my loss as well as the loss suffered by all her surviving children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. However, in my grandmother's final years, she stood ever ready to go to heaven. She was tired, she missed my grandpa, she missed her dog of 17 years. She longed for her heavenly body and I know she is no longer suffering.

Because of what I've been through these last 8 months, I have never been more sure that "we will enter in this rest with wonders anew...there will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, no more fears."*

And I am grateful that for my grandmother, "the burdens of this place will be no more, she'll see Jesus face to face."*

*Jeremy Camp - There Will Be A Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8gkDiTvloc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

3 comments:

Aunt Wild Roz said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, but I'm happy to hear you have such a positive attitude regarding it all.

Suzie said...

We were just talking about how she was so ready. She is now one of your many angels and understands why you can't be there. The pictures of you with her are so sweet and I'm sure the memories are precious.

Uncle Jim said...

Your Grandmother is very proud of you! As we all are.

Love Uncle Jim