Monday, June 18, 2012

Hope Springs Eternal!

When I first learned I had breast cancer, my mind went to the worst possible place...

"What if I die?" I wondered.

I worried about my children and what it would be like for them to grow up, graduate high school, attend college, get married, have children, etc...all without a mother!! As awful as I felt for them, knowing how much I have always needed my own mother, I felt equally as bad for myself, imagining everything I might miss out on!!

I was suddenly desperate to make sure that, with or without me, my children knew they never have nor ever would be alone. I wanted them to know they would always have a God given guardian angel to watch over them - through even the simplest of things.

Now for those of you who don't know this about me, I love writing picture books and was offered representation about two years ago by a wonderful literary agent in New York. Looking back now, I could never have imagined what a difficult and lengthy process it would be to become published by a major publishing house, albeit impossible without an agent. But even WITH the benefit of having an agent and some promising interest in some of my books, there were subsequent rejections. And though I never gave up hope, continued to persevere, attended several writer's conferences to become a better writer, and made countless manuscript revisions, I had still not been able to get any of my books published...until now, that is!

After years of writing, the book that ended up taking only a few hours to write (with just some minor theological revisions!), and in turn had the most meaning for me, was successfully sold by my agent this past March.

My book "May God Bless You With an Angel"© is currently under contract and is now with the wonderfully talented illustrator, Chris Shea, for completion!

To give you an idea of how lengthy the process usually is, Chris will have the book for some time as she needs to complete over 40 pieces of original artwork! My first book will be released on June 1, 2013!

When I think of being filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, there is no better example of this than what happened to me with this book!

"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him." 1 Timothy 1:12

I look forward to seeing you at my book launch party next summer...cancer free and with my husband, my children, and my guardian angel at my side!

Original Artwork by Chris Shea ©

2 comments:

Julie G. said...

Congratulations, Lisa!!! I never doubted you would get published. "Every good and perfect gift comes from above."
I'm so happy for you!

Aunt Wild Roz said...

It's been my experience that those Guardian Angels really come in handy,eh?! I wonder if yours and mine know each other?