Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Cumulative Effect

cumulative effect - n.: The state at which repeated administration of a drug may produce effects that are more pronounced than those produced by the first dose. Also called cumulative action.

Chemotherapy has a way of killing you slowly...not that I'm dying, but there are definitely days when I feel like I am.

Though the proverbial end is near (my last port infusion of chemo is June 13th) it seems the worst is yet to come. I've been told by other's battling cancer that the pain and exhaustion get worse towards the end, and they were right.

My muscles are weak, it's hard to walk, I'm unable to open water or prescription bottles, my gums and teeth are intolerant of hot or cold foods, my toenails are threatening to fall off, my eyes are surrounded by dark circles, I am so very tired.

Every time I feel down, physically or emotionally, I imagine myself on a tropical beach in Hawaii (that's booked for late summer!) and I click on my Bible App...it has never let me down.

"This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

I have no doubt He has never left me and that He will be right next to me on that tropical beach in Hawaii....

2 comments:

Aunt Wild Roz said...

Think about getting rich: friendships are priceless, time is invaluable, health is wealth, and love is a treasure.

Create a nest egg of beautiful memories that you can dip into from time to time to ease any sorrows.

Have the kind of remembrances
that raise you up with their worth
and keep you there with their wonder.

Always have a secret supply of hopes on hand to help you plan your tomorrows (Hawaii!). Remember that when you invest in your dreams, it is impossible to overpay.

Give away smiles, and watch them come back to you a hundred times over.

Stuff your pockets with kindness and optimism; there is nothing more precious in the world.

I'm sharing this advice with you today because I KNOW it to be true, and because you are an important piece in the puzzle of my life.

Julie G. said...

I love that verse.

Keep hanging on! Hawaii here you come!