Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Laundry and Dentists and Dead Rats, Oh My!

Vacations have a way of ending too soon for me, but after 10 days in Hawaii, I found myself rested and ready to take on my next surgery in 3 weeks...until we arrived home and experienced the following events in orderly succession:

First, after a long day of travel and apparently 90 degree heat in California, we came home to the smell of a morgue without refrigeration...a rat had chewed through the vent in our crawl space, found its way onto an old trap, and expired - approximately 5 days ago! (Note: By the days end, Mr. Rat will be removed and given a proper burial in the garbage can).

Next, I unpacked and piled high about 5 loads of dirty laundry...for a moment I wondered what smelled worse - the dead rat or the laundry!

After that, I had my pre-op appointment followed by a visit to my oncologist for my Lupron shot and Zometa infusion - flu like symptoms to follow shortly!

Upon leaving the oncologist, I gathered up my toothless young son and went to the dentist to have his fractured permanent teeth repaired, albeit quite likely only temporarily.

Last, but not least, I visited my friend in the hospital - she underwent a double mastectomy yesterday, and I am reminded of how much I despise cancer and its evil ways. I'm pleased to find my friend resting comfortably for now.

Yes, it was a long and tiring day, and as I lay down to rest, my laundry pile is taunting me, seemingly multiplying before my eyes.

And I thank God for the blessing of a somewhat normal, somewhat abnormal, but mostly busy day....

2 comments:

Julie G. said...

"Oh My!" is right!
Tell your friend I'm praying for her : )

Aunt Wild Roz said...

Most of the time home is a haven you can't wait to return to...with the exception of after vacation.