Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Most Beautiful Thing We Can Experience is the Mysterious...

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein

For me, the mysterious came in late August of last year. It was a hot summer night, just a few days before the start of school, when my cat was lying beside me on my bed. I noticed his whiskers oddly twitching and as they did, they ever so gently brushed against my right breast...just enough to tickle. At first and slightly annoyed, I almost pushed my cat aside, but instead, I touched the spot my cat's whiskers were so in tune with...and in doing so, I found a lump.

Since then, my cat has not left my side, following me just about everywhere I go in the house, and eager to settle in next to me as close as he possibly can.

My family jokes that whomever he snuggles up to next is, well....let's just suffice it to say that everyone's glad he is remaining steadfast by me for the time being.

This story really began 11 years ago when I rescued two wild kittens from a trap and took them in to be my dutiful barn cats - a mousing job they perfected for over 10 years. When we moved in 2010, they settled in nicely to retirement as indoor house cats and frequent couch potatoes.

As you may or may not know about me, I am a huge proponent of animal rescue (www.libbysfoundation.org). I guess you could say that these two cats returned the favor - for they, in turn, have certainly rescued me.

4 comments:

Julie Goette said...

I witnessed first hand the cat's loyalty and love. They are truly feline guardian angels and silver linings in and of themselves.
julie

Mom said...

KARMA...........You saved their lives...........and yours was saved. God rewards those who care for his creatures. Love, Mom

Dad said...

You inspire me to endure my surgery on Friday. The mysteries of life are indeed all around us, ever changing, ever present.

Love Dad.

Aunt Wild Roz said...

I, too, rescued my little "Therapy" dog. And no one can argue that after what we she and I endured, the Good Lord didn't send our hearts to each other after our long, hard journeys. So those little animals are our heart lights...our hearts in our footsteps. Which begs the question, "Who rescued whom?"