Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Breasts - What Are They Good For?

As a baby and throughout my childhood, breasts (mainly my mother's, my aunt's, and my grandmother's) frequently enveloped me in nurturing hugs.

As a teenager, my breasts appeared over time and changed me from a girl into a self-confident young woman. It was a wondrous and memorable metamorphosis.

As a young adult, my breasts (and brains!!) were assets that helped me to attract the fabulous husband I have today.

As a brand new mother, my breasts frustrated me by not working properly. They became painfully infected when at first I tried, then failed, at breast feeding.

As a more experienced mother, my breasts provided comfort and nourishment to my next two children, a time in my life I will always cherish.

All of the above, and then some - THAT is what breasts are good for. Yes, my breasts have served me well.

That is, until recently, when my breasts decided to try and kill me.

Though it is one of the most difficult and stressful decisions I have ever had to make, it's Bon Voyage to my breasts.

The truth is, I realized it was ME, not my breasts, that defined who I was and provided any and all self-confidence, comfort, and love.

It was me all along.

Lisa

3 comments:

Julie Goette said...

I loved you before you had breasts, and I will love you after.
love,
Julie

Aunt Wild Roz said...

You don't really need them anyway. When you think about it, most boobs are men.

Mom and Dad said...

You are still our Beautiful Daughter Lisa. Love, Mom and Dad