Tuesday, November 29, 2011

C Is Not Just For Cancer...

C is also for CLARITY and cancer certainly has the ability to give your life clarity. Personally, my mind has never been more clear about what is most important in life: Faith, Family, and Friends! I am greatly blessed with all three, and indeed, the true value and significance of each one will never escape me.

My latest pathology indicates that, while the Invasive Cancer was successfully excised with good margins (yippee!), the Ductal Carcinoma In Situ (contained cancer which can evolve into the invasive type) was still too close (literally within one cell) to the margins. In addition, even without getting all the DCIS out, that tumor is totaling over 4.5 centimeters. Disappointingly that means double mastectomy is imminent within the month.

Additionally, there is Lymphatic Vascular Invasion (invasive cancer in the blood vessels - not yippee!) As my Oncologist explained it, some cancers are not 'sticky' and may bypass the lymph nodes and head straight to the bloodstream looking for prime real estate elsewhere in the body to begin a new life of their own.

When LVI is present, doctors assume this means that the cancer has acquired the genetic mutation it needs to create its own blood vessels, a process called angiogenesis. Because a tumor that has the ability to create its own blood vessels may have already begun to spread cancer cells to other parts of the body, additional adjuvant therapies are required.

So...unfortunately for me, C is also for CHEMOTHERAPY - which will begin in January and last for 5 months. No radiation with a mastectomy.

What this all means is that a long, not so fun, and inevitably hairless battle is just beginning for me and my family. But chemo or not, it is only hair, right? Just last year I cut 8 inches and donated it to Pantene Beautiful Lengths because I figured someone out there with cancer needed the hair more than I did....ironic, right? And so I'm off to the salon once more to cut and donate my now regrown hair before it all falls out and goes to waste. (Did you know it takes 8 donated pony tails to make only one wig?)

Check it out: www.beautifullengths.wordpress.com

While this certainly does seem like the perfect time for me to try being a red headed siren, a blonde who has more fun, or a black haired beauty, bald will simply just have to do. So, just in case you think Santa might need suggestions for Christmas gifts for me, hats and scarves are at the top of my list!

Finally, please keep the faith my dear family and friends, because I have surely not lost mine.

God bless,

Lisa

8 comments:

Julie said...

Lisa,

I prayed for clarity for you and you certainly got it. Right now you are more than my sister...you are my hero. Your blog is beautiful, as are you. Your short cut looks adorable and is a fitting crown for a valiant soldier. I am ready to clear my calendar to go into battle with you!
Love,
Julie

Kendra said...

You are amazing!!! I am so proud of you :) Anything you need, you let me know!!! Love you all so much

JPuccetti said...

Lisa,

I was thinking about you today while I was running... thinking that no matter what is happening, the news you are receiving, you would be facing it like a true fighter, and I was right. When I read your post, I smiled because I could sense strength, resilience, and faith. You are a strong woman, and a role model for many. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Much love,

Jim

Rick said...

Hi Lisa:

I am sorry about the news that you received. However, I celebrate that you are bringing with you the power of your humor on the journey out on the horizon. Renaming your blog to "Faith, Family, Friends, and Humor" might not be such a bad idea! Remember - Bald is the new Beautiful.

Love, Rick, Emily, Maggie and Lucy

Sue and Larry said...

When the going gets tough the tough get going. You are an amazing person. We are always here to help you through this journey. Much Love and ooga booga. Sue and Larry

Aunt Peggy said...

Hey Lisa, you will be the most beautiful, bald, babe the world has ever seen!! Love your attitude - you are amazing!!!

XOXOX
Peggy

Aunt Wild Roz said...

Sweet Lisa: When I receive shocking bad news, I say, "Well, crap!", take a deep breath, and deal. You sound so positive, and that's a big plus! You can still be a blonde, redhead, dark-haired beauty, or even go frosted. The hospital will have a place selling wigs at good prices. I bought 5 of them - all different colors and styles. 4 years later, I still wear them periodically...they look better than my real hair! Tough times ahead; good thing you know how to fight like a girl!

Uncle Denny said...

Lisa....If I'm not mistaken you had litle if any hair as a baby. My guess is you are going to be just as pretty now as you were then! Thanks for the great pics! Love, FU Denny