Sunday, September 9, 2012

I Hope You're Happy

It's just about three weeks from my latest surgery and I'm starting to feel good again. Physically and emotionally, thank the Lord.

Today, I had a nice time out to lunch with my Aunt Sue. For those of you who may not know, my Aunt Sue (along with my wonderful mother and sisters) has been an integral part of my battle and journey with cancer, every step of the way from first fears, to diagnosis, to multiple surgeries, and finally to recovery. She has nutured, pampered, cooked, cleaned, laundered, organized and been a constant source of support.

She told me today that when she looks back over this past year of trials and tribulations, she feels sadness for me for what I went through. Understandable. She is like a mother to me and I can imagine feeling that way if this had been my daughter going through the same thing.

She then asked me what I thought about when I look back at the past year of my life. And you know, when I really stop to think about it, I feel happiness. Happiness for many reasons, but to name the biggest ones...happiness that my family and I are better people for what we have gone through, that our faith in God is stronger than ever, that I'm blessed with so many loving family members and friends, and happiness that I'm alive and able to sit down to lunch with my wonderfully loving and caring Aunt Sue on such a beautiful and sunny afternoon.

I hope that after reading this, you're happy too. :)

"The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering." ~ Ben Okri

XO and God bless,

Lisa

2 comments:

Julie G. said...

I'm happy for you, for all the same reasons!

Sue Groves of the BHS 5 said...

Thanks for sharing this piece; it was where my mind as been recently oin praying fr everyone on my prayer list and trying to remember gratitude before requests!