Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A reminder that I am a mother with normal motherly worries...

As I relaxed in my cabana, three days into our ten day vacation, gazing at the ocean and trying to decide between a burger and fries for lunch or a healthier salad option, my serenity was abruptly interrupted by Josef running up to me with his hands clenched over his mouth. I was horrified to see his two front permanent teeth were fractured off and gone. Josef had hit his face on the bottom of the pool slide when another boy landed on top of him.

The next several frenzied hours involved us finding and going to a pediatric dentist in Honolulu, 45 minutes from our hotel.

The dentist put a temporary protective coating on his broken teeth so he could eat and drink and enjoy the rest of our vacation, until we can have his teeth repaired properly back home. Josef was a real trooper.

The dentist was a kind man who took great care of Josef and who recognized in me the signs of someone with cancer, as his wife is a survivor now of 12 years. After he made the temporary repair, he said he was glad I had this reminder today that I still have 'normal' mom worries. He was right...today I was a normal mom and though life is full of unexpected and unwanted events, I'm glad I'm here to experience them.

Tomorrow though, I'm back to relaxing in the shade...this time with a cocktail. ;)


3 comments:

Julie G. said...

ouch! definitely a mom worry! He looks like uncle John when he lost his front cap in Mexico!

Aunt Wild Roz said...

Bless your little pea-pickin' hearts!

Suzie said...

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that, and on vacation! But if it had to happen, Josef is the one to handle it like a trooper. I bet he can squirt a lot of water through that hole!! Now relax and enjoy.