Thursday, October 15, 2015

New Shoe for Chickie-Poo

I promised Steve I would never take my new chickens to the Vet - ever. It was either that or no chickens. I justified that this promise wouldn't be hard to keep because, well, what could go wrong with a chicken?

Turns out, a lot. 

I noticed yesterday that my Frizzle chick was moving kind of funny...and on closer inspection I could see that one of her toes was bent under her foot and she was actually walking on it. :(

After a lot of Googling, I discovered this can be a problem in chicks. At first I cleared my schedule and with my phone in hand, got ready to call the Vet. Until, that is, the Angel on my shoulder politely reminded me about the promise I made to Steve. The Devil on my shoulder was whispering "Steve who?"

But realizing I like Steve and I'd like to stay married to Steve, I decided to try to deal with this on my own. So with some Duct Tape, a few toothpicks, and a Bandaid or two, I made a tiny corrective shoe for my chickie poo to wear. 

Today I removed shoe #1 and there is already an improvement so I re-fitted her with a fashionable blue shoe - one which I plan to leave on now for a few days. So far the other chickie poos are giving it an occasional investigative peck or two but then ignoring it. I think they're actually jealous. 

Call me clucking crazy...but I think chickie poo likes it. Tiny matching purse coming soon. 

(Shoe #1)

(Blue shoe #2)


xo 

Lisa 

2 comments:

Aunt Wild Roz said...

Good for you! And I have to add: "LOL!"

Julie G said...

Too Cute!!!!! You have such a compassionate heart, Lisa. That is one very blessed little chick!