Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy 2014

Happy New Year!

With every birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, or even Ground Hog Day for that matter, I sometimes find myself wondering "Will this be my last one?"  I know that seems dramatic, and it is dramatic. But it isn't necessarily a bad thing. With those thoughts come a greater appreciation for every moment, a pause for thought before saying or doing something, and an ability to let go and to not sweat the small stuff. 

I love my family, I truly do. These past couple of holiday weeks have been filled with long standing traditions, delicious meals shared, lots of laughter and much love. They've also come with many messes made, laundry baskets full then emptied then full again, and a house which doesn't stay clean for long. With my oldest son home for the holidays, I have come to actually enjoy looking into his lived in room with clothes strewn about everywhere.  I'm amazed at how time flies - his freshman year of college is exactly half way over and he (and I) not only survived it, but thrived from it. As difficult as it has been to have him 3000 miles away, he (and I) are better for it. He is becoming a man, and I can see it happening right before me. 

Gone are the days when my little family of five stayed in together on New Year's Eve banging pots and counting down the midnight clock together. Letting go of the past and embracing a new furture is more evident than ever as my oldest son spent New Year's Eve with friends of his own. 

In 2014, will I still wonder if each day will be my last?  Absolutely. And my prayer is that you will wonder that about each day as well. 

"Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering 'it will be happier."  ~ Alfred Tennyson

Happy 2014!

1 comment:

Aunt Wild Roz said...

I do wonder about each day...Happy New Year!