Friday, September 20, 2013

Parent's Weekend

I'm writing this post from Pennsylvania as we are all here visiting my oldest son at Villanova for Parent's Weekend. 

It has been one month since I've seen my son and it has been a bit odd being on his 'turf' and feeling more like a visitor than a parent, if that makes sense. Our first day, we all took the train into Philly, ate authentic Philly Cheesesteaks, and let our son be our tour guide for the day - what an amazingly beautiful and historical city!

As I've known for several months now we'd be visiting Philadelphia, my goal (along with seeing all the historic sights) was to run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, or more famously known as the Rocky Steps. My youngest son ran up with my while my oldest son followed and filmed. Several other tourists also mimicked Rocky's famous climb, a metaphor for an underdog or an everyman rising to a challenge, and oddly for such a silly thing, it meant a lot to me. (See video below)

When we returned back to campus, my son kindly indulged me when I offered to help 'organize' his room. Two hours, four loads of laundry, and one Hefty garbage bag later, his room looked amazing, and though I know it won't last, it made me feel good to do it and he seemed to appreciate it too.

I bought him a broom and dustpan and swept up the equivalent of a small science experiment - complete with hair, crumbs, a spider or two, some skittles, a button, but mostly lots and lots of dirt and dust. I cautioned him and his roommate to try and sweep more often so as not to get ants or roaches - my son's roommate then asked if roaches were a 'real' thing...boy are these boys privileged! 

Gonna fly now - more fun, news, and photos to come. 

xo

Lisa

2 comments:

Aunt Wild Roz said...

LOVED that video! You look great. YAY, Lisa!

Julie G. said...

The video brought a tear to my eyes thinking of how far you have come since your diagnosis. Running up those steps was no metaphor for you. It was also touching to see Josef wait for you at the last set of steps so you could run up it together.

xoxoj