Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Believe you are here for a reason!

"Believe in something big. Your life is worth a noble motive." - Walter Anderson.

At this time, the results of my PET/CT scan did not reveal any detectable tumors elsewhere in my body (PET/CT can only detect early stage tumors, not individual cancer cells). So for the moment, this is a huge relief. Truth be told though, cancer has a way of stealing away ANY AND ALL sense of relief day after day as sunlight fades and darkness falls...for some reason, nighttime is very hard for me.

In addition, because I have Lymphatic Vascular Invasion, which brings with it a greater likeliness of cancer spreading through my blood stream, I will likely have to repeat the PET/CT scans in one year. In the meantime, I will pray that the chemotherapy will do it's job and kill any rogue cancer cells that may have circulated elsewhere in my body trying to grow into a tumor. Bad cancer! Bad cancer!

Unfortunately, the scans were NOT effective in the diagnosis of additional cancer cells or tumors in my breasts, therefor I am more certain than ever that a mastectomy is, without doubt, the right choice for me.

After my next surgery on January 12th, final pathology will help guide my oncologist regarding the most effective type and duration of chemotherapy required.

For now, I am looking forward to ringing in the new year quietly and gratefully with Steve and our children.

God bless, happy new year...and believe you are here for a reason...I do!


Lisa

5 comments:

Julie Goette said...

Even a pebble has a purpose...

Karen (Quinn) Vaca said...

Lisa, you are a beautiful writer!! I sat here reading thru all your posts and wished I could reach out and give you a hug!! We have been out of touch for so many years yet I still feel I know you and your family liked you still lived down the street.
It sounds like you have a wonderful supportive family to help you on the darker days!! Hold them tight and thank God often for them. During the nights, life is at it's most cruel, because there is nothing productive that you can do to keep your mind busy. Do like we did as kids and keep a "secret" stash of candy under your bed!! That always made us feel happy!! Especially those great big jawbreakers!!

Aunt Wild Roz said...

This whole process is baby steps, baby steps, isn't it? But looking back, you've really come a long way in this journey already! So as you bid adieu to 2011 and get ready to take on 2012, ask yourself, "Why is a car's windshield so large and its rear view mirror so small?" Because our PAST is not as important as our FUTURE. So, look ahead and move on. Happy New Year!

Yahoo said...

Night time prescription:

Memorize this verse, meditate on it, believe it, own it:

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, O Lord, make
me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

Call Him in the morning.

sue said...

I can't always be there to be your 2am buddy, but when I am at your house I am up and ready.....darkness is always scary when you don't know what is next and you are on that path right now. I hope you feel everyone holding your hand...hugs!